Monday, April 6, 2009

Nate Has a Cave... or Two

You know that book (which is also a common saying), "Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus"? There's a section of the book that talks about the need men have for "caves". When they get angry or sad or scared (i.e., emotional), their instinct is to retreat; they want to find a "cave" to hide in while they sort out their feelings. The concept makes sense to me, and my mom made a great joke this weekend...


But let me back up.


Nate recently re-located his computer desk out of our shared office and into the "nook" off the front of the kitchen. It's a horrible little room -- slightly long but narrow, with dark wood paneling and darker cabinetry. The lights have 70s-style stained glass, the floor is a layer of dirt on top of pale blue carpet, and the room slopes downward (by 1 inch per 4 feet, or about 1.5 inches from end-to-end). Ugly, weird, uncomfortable, horrible.... These are all words I almost-affectionately use to talk about the Nook.

Anyway, as I mentioned, this is where Nathan has set-up shop. His desk is there and I donated a bookshelf to the space, plus he moved in an easy-chair.

While he was sitting at his computer Saturday morning and I was working on breakfast in the kitchen, my mom wandered in and was talking to me. I wish I remember all the conversation, but it boils down to this: I commented that Nate was hiding from the house guests (my parents) in "his" room, and my mom replied, "Well, you know boys... Sometimes they need to retreat to their cave."

I looked over at the room and, as though seeing it for the first time, realized that the Nook was absolutely cave-like! Dark... dirty.... horrible.... Oh yeah. Nate has a cave.

As I thought about it a little more, I realized that it's more accurate to say that Nate has another cave, since his new painting room (downstairs) is also quite cave-like!


And I love my Caveman. :o)

3 comments:

Lizzie said...

Cute post. I've actually peeked in on your blog too. = )

AMY AND MIKEY said...

it seems like you stopped posting, so I stopped checking and now I check and you've posted aton! Where to begin! Ok, I think I'll just go from post to post- the cave- I totally thought you were going to say the painting room was his cave, but I can totally see the nook being it also. That's when I know Mike and I need to talk, is when he goes in the back room and plays computer games non stop, I know something's wrong. My dad totally has a cave, whenever someone visits, he hides in his room. That is funny though- because that room is cave like!

Anonymous said...

Do women have a "cave"? Yes, I believe it is called the bathroom, in the shower/tub... light a candle, have some music, a book and a glass of wine... alone time :-) Although now that I am living alone, my whole house is my cave!! Love your blog and thanks for resetting so I could post!! Love you.