Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Calling Nathan "Nathan"

I realized as I was writing my last blog that I have a habit of referring to my husband as “Nathan” when I am talking about him to other people. This habit of mine is a little bit strange. In my conversations with Nathan, I call him by one of my myriad of (admittedly dorky) nicknames, such as Neighbor, Bear, Little Bear, Bearbala (bear-bah-la), etc. To the outside world, Nathan is known as “Nate”. This is what his friends call him, how he introduces himself to people, the name he signs on papers, and so forth. To the outside world, he presents himself and is known as Nate.

Yet, despite this, I still usually call him Nathan when talking to other people or when writing about him. Kinda weird, huh?

The only explanation I have for this is that it's a “wife phenomenon”. I’ve noticed a few wives who have this same habit. For instance, Nathan and I had friends in school for whom this was also the case. Cathy always called her husband David, but to the rest of the world he was Dave – it was what he called himself and what we called him! So all I can conclude about my use of “Nathan” is that it must be a disease that afflicts wives…

3 comments:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

OK- same. I usually say "mikey" or mike, when talking ot him- but when i'm talking ABOUT him, I say Michael, and I think I also do the same when i introduce him. And I don't do any of the above on purpose it's all just natural. I also call him so many different names, and for no certain topic of conversation or feeling- they just come out naturally whenever randomly. Mike, Mikey, Michael, Mikelleri, Michelle (pronouned me-shell) Also- Mike Lachey- like Nick Lachey. Markell, - MEkell, - and as for you and nate- I've heard all the above- but have heard bear the most. - never- bear bala- that's new.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Ooooo I like your backround- anyway- thankyou so much for all your comments! I'm trying to grow my hair out, thankyou for your compliments because it's at that medium stage and sometimes I don't feel cute with it. You really boosted my self esteem! May 2nd is perfect- nothing is really going on school wise at that time, we'll come up on Friday, adn spend the night- I'd love to do whatever- demolish, sew- whatever- I can bring gilmore girls too if you want. When you say next summer for your hair- do you mean- 2010? Why do far away? is it becaues you want to gradualy go that short? or are you going to chop it off 2010?

AMY AND MIKEY said...

hey! I'm so excited to come this weekend! - what's your email address, I wanted to ask you your opinion on something- but didn't want to explain it here on the blog-