Thursday, April 9, 2009

Hair(style) Blog

This post is for Amy, to whom I mentioned this topic weeks ago. I'm only just now following up on it... Sorry...
I am going to cut my hair. Short.

Of course, I mean chin-length short and not pixi short. You'll have to agree than even chin-length is short for me. I want to go for something roughly like this:



Or maybe kinda like this:



Possibly with some bangs, like this:



BUT I'm not going to cut it that short right now. I think the chin-length change is a summer look, and I'm not ready to go that short this summer, so it will be next summer (June 2010, maybe?) when I cut it. Prior to that, in the spring or so, I think I will cut it to my shoulders. Something a little bit like this:



I'm not always very good at handeling change - especially not in regards to my hair - so I think having an in-between step will be an easier way for me to progress toward short hair.

At this point, you're probably wondering what the fuss is about and why I'm teasing you with all this information. I have a point. I am now getting to that point...

One thing I'd really like to do before I "go short" with my style is to try a perm. I think. Truth be told, I'm nervous about perming it! I worry that (a) my hair won't take a perm because it's so riddiculously straight (thanks mom :o), and (b) what if it looks terrible on me? I mean, a perm is a hairstyle that can look incredibly bad on a person!

Anyway -- setting my fears aside for a moment: I've collected a bunch of pictures of different "perms" that I like. Some of them are just barrel-curled hair, but are still along the line of what I want. In general, I want to do large curls (I don't think small, tight curls would look good on me). One of the things I'm unsure about is just how loose/tight to make the curl, and whether or not I should have bangs (long or short) and whether to perm the bangs or keep them straight. To illustrate my point, here are a whole bunch of pictures...

This one has fairly loose curls without bangs:

This one also has somewhat loose curls, but with a litter layering in front:


This one is more of a texture and not quite as "curly". It also has long layers in front:


This one has moderately tight curls with straight, shorter layers in front:


This one has fairly tight, large curls and is all about the same lenght:


And finally, this one has tighter, slightly smaller curls and medium layers in the front:


WOW, I know there's a lot of options there. And they are all pretty similar. I don't want to bias you with my opinion, so I won't say which one I'm leaning toward! But I'd love to know what everyone thinks.

All pictures came from www.TheHairstyler.com
The website has a fabulous collection! Check them out!

1 comment:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

OK- first of all- I thinhk the very first picture cut, and color would be awesome on you! And you have the perfect hair for it. I can't do that- I'd have to straighten my hair every day, I have a little wave in my hair, so I would have kinks, and flippy outies, it woudlnt' work- your hair would work SO WELL with that. OK- I totally understnad the need to go gradual with the shortening. And that's the other good thing about the first one, it's short, but not pixy. OK- perm: here's the issue with perms, I LOVE the pictures 1, 2 and 3. But I have a hard time believing that came from a perm, it looks curled. Perms are more tight, and start from your scalp, those ones don't start from the scalp, it makes me feel like they were curled. Supposedly you can get your hair permed to have that loose curl look, but I've NEVER met or seen a person with one, and i think it's because it doesn't exist, I think if it did, everoyne woudl have one, because it looks SO GOOD. SO- if we're talking perm, realistically it would and could look like picture 5, which starts at the scalp, and the curls are tighter, but still not granny tiny curls. I LOVE curly hair, I think it's so beautiful, so if you could get your hair to look like pic 5, that go for it! But those other ones that are gorgeous, I don't think they exist in the perm world, and if they do, I want one. COLOR- you are so lucky you can be a blonde! I would love to have a weave of blonde- but it looks rediculous against my dark hair, you have brown hair too, but it's lighter, you can totally do a blonde weave. I think it would be so pretty. You mentioned bangs: didn't you grow out your bangs because they drove you crazy? I don't care for the second picture, I think if you're going to do short, then keep it straight, but with long hair you can totally do curly. I LOVE LOVE LOVE curly wavey hair, but the curling iron takes sooooo long, if I could find a perm that would truly do that, i'd do it in a heart beat, I LOVE LOVE LOVE that look. How much are perms? cause yuo'll have to get it touched up. OK- I've given my opinions- so which one do you want?