Saturday, September 11, 2010

The latest and greatest...

I'm behind on blogging. Aack. Here's an update... briefly:

Today: Met with the youth group this morning to plan their activities for the next 6 months, then drove them to Portland and dropped them off at a conference called "Especially for Youth." They get to hear some awesome speakers, meet other kids from around the state, and go to a dance. I'm grateful for the opportunity I have to serve as a leader for the youth group right now. It's the highlight of my week. I love my girls.

Last week(end): I celebrated a birthday. I'm really starting to rack up the years. My parents in law took me out to breakfast at my favorite place on the coast (on the 4th), then my mom came down with my dad (on the 6th) and she went for a long bike ride with me. She also got me the most beautiful little side table for my living room:


We went to Freddy's to get some tomatoes for lunch and I spotted the side table. I wasn't sure how it would look in the living room, but I liked it so I didn't really care if it matched or not. But now that it's in the room... I'm impressed with how nicely it all goes together:


Of course, it wasn't hard to beat the old side table, which most definitely did not match our newer furniture:


Also for my birthday: One of my thoughtful co-workers taught me something new about what it means to have "friends." You see, "friends" are the people who buy you grandiose balloons, like this one:


...knowing full well that you commute to work on your bike, and that you'll be traveling home with "the bird" flapping behind you. In other words, picture me riding across town on this:


It's a good thing I adore the spotlight and can laugh at myself. Which I did. The whole way home. Bonus points? I made many children point, laugh, and shout with glee. "Look at the bird!" and "I love your bird!" That part almost makes me want to attach a balloon to my bike every time I ride.

Almost.

Also last week: Nathan got his "boot" off. He's still gimpy. His damaged leg looks like a little chicken leg. But he's healing. Someday I might even get another piggy-back ride out of him.... I'm really looking forward to that day.

Mid-August: I went to D.C. (again) for work. It was a wonderful trip. I would not mind it if my work asked me to go yet again in the near (or distant) future. I learned a lot, met some great people from around the country, and had just a little time to sight-see in our nation's capitol. I love, love, love Washington D.C.

Late July: The young women in the youth group had their second annual hike in the Mt. Jeffereson Wilderness area. I can't begin to tell you how good the experience was for me. While we were up there I spent some time doing a bit of soul-searching. The content is too personal for this public blog.... suffice it to say that I came back a different person.

4 comments:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

hey brookstar- did you get my email wishing you a happy birthday? you never responded so i didn't know if you got it- if not- happy birthday. I was thinking about you- hoping you were having a good day. We saw Marie and Dave yesterday and they said you went somehwere near the coast for your birthday meal- cool! I asked what you got from nate, but they didnt' know. We need to talk about when I'm going to make, or teach you how or both on the grocery bag idea. We can do it here or there, any time this week or the next, just not the Saturday in 2 weeks, that's Stake women's conference, which by the way- I wonder if we're in teh same stake? Anyway- so let me know so I can plan for it. Sounds like you guys have been up to alot. DC, how cool. I have never been- and now you have been 3 times! You're going to be an expert. I will have to ask you all hte cool places to go when we go someday. Young Womens- LOVE youngwomens, I feel the same way- and by the way, I dont know if they make you feel this way, but they make me feel so old and out of it! I hate that part! Besides that, I LOVE youngwomans, I'll be sad when I'm released some day. Hiking- I have never been to that area before- that's really neat you had such a great experience up there. the table- LOVE IT! so cute! MUCH MUCH MORE YOU than the black table. Nate's leg- yowsa, I'm just imagining a white, shriveled skinny leg-the way your fingers look after a long bath. poor guy. Now that Nate is feeling a little more mobile, do you guys want to rock band it up on Friday? we could do dinner, re-live the old days? :) Get back to me soon- and by the way- megan had her baby!!!!!!!!!! I'm in love with her. check out my blog- there's crappy phone pics.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

oh yeah i forgot- loved the bird balloon image- thankyou for that :)

Anonymous said...

I think it's so sexy you ride your bike to work. How fun to have a bird balloon go with you!

Julie Jackson said...

I'm compelled to fill in what I'm SURE Tara would say if she was tracking your blog: "friends" are also the ones who can get away with giving you the bird. (Don't get mad at me, it was the little Tara voice in my head, and you know it's true.)
We should have cycled 2X miles instead of 21 !!! And then 2X+1 next year. And I'll have to get a bike trailer for the eventual little grandchild, but we won't do River Road then. But we could driver over to Rickreall and do that long path to Monmouth (separated from the main traffic). Such plans!!!