Monday, June 29, 2009

Volunteering

I'm writing a brief article for work on volunteering. I decided to open the article with a quote that expresses the greatness of volunteering, rather than me blithering on about its greatness. In the process of searching for a quote, I found a webpage with the very best ones imaginable. I think I know which one I want for the article, but I still feel a need to share a few of the others. I don't know if any of you love quotes as much as I do, but here are a few that touched me:

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.
Edmund Everett Hale

Everybody can be great because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and your verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace, a soul generated by love.
Martin Luther King Jr.

Service to others is the payment you make for your space here on earth.
Mohammed Ali

Never before has man had such a great capacity to control his own environment, to end hunger, poverty and disease, to banish illiteracy and human misery. We have the power to make the best generation of mankind in the history of the world.
President John F. Kennedy

I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
Mahatma Gandhi

I was taught that the world had a lot of problems; that I could struggle and change them; that intellectual and material gifts brought the privilege and responsibility of sharing with others less fortunate; and that service is the rent each of us pays for living, the very purpose of life and not something you do in your spare time or after you have reached your personal goals.
Marian Wright Edelman

We make a living by what we do, but we make a life by what we give.
Winston Churchill



In case you love these as much as I do, here's the link to the list I pulled them from.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Hey, the pics of my grand-kitties are over a month old now. New ones please?

Love, Mom

p.s. have you moved to the basement to escape the heat?