Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Post for My Mum

My mom and dad came down last weekend to run an errand, visit with us, and help out around the house a little. My mom took a picture of me replacing a light fixture and not-so-subtly said that I should blog about it. So here's the picture my mum took:


It's a great shot because she got the old chandelier in the picture, as well as the new fixture, so you can see both of them at once! Good choice, mom.

We took out both chandeliers in the kitchen, plus both of the "lanterns" in the hallway. The new light fixtures weren't particularly spendy (about $10 each -- so $40 for all four of them), but they are nice and match well with the fixtures we put up in the bedrooms when we first moved in. Now I've just got to figure out how/where to sell the old chandeliers. Several people have said that they could probably fetch a pretty good price, maybe even more money that we paid for all of the new ones. That would be neat.

Replacing the light fixtures was one of a few projects last weekend. We also continued working on the wall that we took out. N8's parents helped us frame the area about two weekends ago. (That was a big project. I'm very glad it's done!) Now we have to put casings on the new header and support beams.

Can't figure out what I'm trying to say? Here's a picture of the new beams (in place):


You probably can't tell from the picture just how ugly they are, so trust me... they are ugly! That's why we bought wood to put around these beams (to "case" them). Then we can do the drywall (and taping and mudding... and sanding, mudding, sanding more... etc.). It's still a few weeks worth of work to finish this project. Hopefully we can get back to the Nook around mid-July, with enough time to finish it and the front deck (and the front yard) by the end of summer.

Of course, "the end of summer" now means the end of September... obviously! :o)

1 comment:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

First of all- thanks for your comment. I said to mike last night, "your mom told nate and brooke right? I haven't heard from brooke" Second- the army- ha- someone commented that he should join the army because then the surgery would be 100% free. Don't worry- mike's not joining the army! And- third- your hall way looks so good! It's so nice that you have the winegardners to help. And- you know so much about all this stuff! it's really amazing. I look back on the day we went shopping, and how exausted I was, and how weak i was when i was helping you guys rip out stuff, and I think- that's why I was so weak, and tired, - because I had a freakin huge spleen stealing all my blood! - I don't know if i mentioned that in the post- that I am super anemic- 8- is blood transfusion- and I'm a 10. anyway- just so many things make sense- before this I had just come to the conclusion- "I guess I'm just a weak person". and now I know why i was so weak- I asked when they think this all started,and they said years. love you- OH- and I got my paper! I love it! thankyou thankyou! I just want to frame all the pages! they are so pretty! you are so sweet!