Thursday, July 30, 2009

Our Wall-to-Rail is Nearly Done!

My mom hinted (not-so-subtly) that I needed a blog update. She asked for kitten pictures, and I have at least 1,000 new pictures I could share, but I've been meaning to talk about house stuff for quite some time. So I'm going to do house stuff now, and do a kitten update in a few days (I hope).

We're nearly done with the wall-to-rail project. The railing is constructed and in place. There are only minor adjustments remaining, including a little bit of sanding, some painting, and attaching the floorboard trim.

What's interesting is that, as I pass the railing every day, a diverse series of thoughts go through my head. I start by feeling a little annoyed that it looks somewhat home-grown and not perfectly professional (even though it is very nicely done). And because of the way we framed the new railing, you can definitely see where the wall use to be. I worry that people who've never seen my house will walk in, see the railing, and instantly know that it use to be a wall.

BUT THEN I imagine what it use to look like -- the solid wall, blocking the window over the staircase. Sometimes I even go back and look at the pictures of the wall. As soon as I remember what it use to be, I suddenly have a lot of love for what it now is.

In sum: I love the new railing.

Before I reveal the new railing, here's a couple of pictures of what it use look like (when it was just a wall):


And here's one of the construction pictures that I haven't shared yet (I love this one):

Finally, here's the new railing:

2 comments:

Julie said...

Hey, I think it looks great! No "home-grown" obviousness from where I'm sitting.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

OH MY GOSH! THat looks amazing! When I see that I think- what were they thinking putting a wall there in the first place? That looks incredible! And I don't know what you're talking about with the whole "professional" thing, it looks like it was supposed to be that way, and that professional did it. I don't know what you're talking about. It looks so good! I can't wait to see it in real life! You guys are working at such a fast pace- it probably doesn't feel like it but you are! You guys are doing such a great job!