Saturday, September 15, 2012

You go for a hike and I'll move out (for the week)

I missed my post last week. My bad. Nate was gone on a hiking trip all week, so it's been a bit crazy up in here.

We spent the better part of last Saturday packing his hiking bag. First we put everything into the bag, then weighed it. Too heavy. Oh wait, we forgot a few things. Threw them in there and re-weighed in order to really understand just how far "overweight" the bag had become. Then we took a lot of little things out and weighed again. Not enough. Took more little things out. Oh, whoops... forgot some other things. Changed the brighter flashlight for the lighter flashlight, repacked the food into lighter containers, reweighed, repacked, removed.... on and on. In the end his pack was something like 42 pounds, which is a lot. He was hoping for 30-35 pounds, but we really couldn't make it any better. I pointed out that it would get lighter as he ate through his food. By the end of the week it would probably be about 30 pounds. Ha, ha. Very helpful.

Meanwhile, I planned to spend the week and my mom's new house, so I was setting things aside here and there for the trip. I had a list on the fridge of things to take, food for the me and the baby on one side, miscellaneous stuff on the other side. It wasn't until Nate left at 8am on Sunday morning that I started packing in earnest. Then we had to go to church. I finished packing during nap time, after church. In the end it was after 5pm before I finally hit the road.

We had a great week at my mom's house, except that neither baby nor I slept especially well. To be expected, I suppose. And probably not as bad -- maybe even better -- than if we had stayed home. I get a bit paranoid when Nate is gone overnight. I never use to be this way, but now that we have a baby, I can't seem to help but imagine all of the horrible things that could possibly happen. Last time he was gone, I slept with my hand curled around a hammer on his side of the bed. Last night, the one night I had to spend alone in my own house, I slept with a pocket knife in my hand under my pillow. You better believe that I would not hesitate to use it, if needed.

My parent's new house is lovely. It's on a couple of acres, with tons of plants, trees, and room for gardening.  I had to spend Tuesday and Wednesday at a training session out of town, so those were very long (10 hour) work days. I worked from home the other days. It was exhausting. I spent every free minute possible trying to help my parents unpack and organize their house. I felt pretty bad about being underfoot and eliciting so much extra babysitting time right now, when they've got a lot of other things to do, but I seriously needed the extra hands. I would have lost it if I had been on my own this week. Even as it was, I nearly lost it a couple of times. But we survived, and I think I was able to be more of a help than a hindrance... whew.

Hopefully my mom will find some time to blog about her new house. Really, it's quite lovely! It needs a bit of yard cleanup, and there's potential for some projects in the house, but nothing major. I sorta already signed Nate up to fall a couple trees, cut back some bushes, and replace all of the toilets. I signed myself up to do some carpentry work (re-framing a couple of doorways). Whenever they want us, probably after they've unpacked... someday, not urgent.

Meanwhile, I've got to write Darling her 15 month letter, then start a post about my birthday and the latest book reviews. I don't know if I'll get done with the post tonight (probably not), hopefully it will be done tomorrow. It'll go up when it's done but don't rush me... I'm tired :o)

1 comment:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

I still don't understand when you find the time to read books! when? seriously. lunch breaks? after the babe goes down at night? when do you read? that's so cool your parent snew house is on 2 acres! wow! you prob told me but i forgot. i'm so glad you were able to go there, even though it was hectic. yikes 10 hr work days- sounds awful. the weapons in bed- haha- megan does the same thing. I'm worried if I get something too dangerous like a knife, that i"ll some how stab myself in bed. But mike made me a wackign stick- haha- it's this big, hardh stick he found on the beach- he sanded it, and then stained it- haha. so I feel ok sleepign with that- but anything else- I'm afraid I'd shoot or stab myself! You're so funny. I can totally imagine the whole scene. I feel pretty safe since we're in a really safe building- and you have to go IN the building to get to our apartment etc. but when we have a house- and mike leaves- I'm sure it will be MUCH DIFFERENT!