Sunday, September 2, 2012

It's all B-stuff this week? (baby, books, Ben, and B's birthday)

If you saw my kid this week you might think we, her caretakers, are abusive or at least highly negligent. She's started standing up a lot more and "cruising" around a little bit, which has meant a few bumps and bruises. Until this week I always prided myself on the fact that I keep a close eye on her and she hasn't had any serious nicks or falls. After a series of hurts this week, I now hang my head in shame.

At the sitter's this week, on Monday, she fell down and bit herself, resulting in a cut and bruised lip. (It only just finally healed.) Wednesday when grandma was watching her, Baby Girl bonked her head on the piano bench, right next to her eye, so she had a nasty little bruise on her temple. Then on Friday morning while I was making breakfast, she got tangled up in the small metal step ladder -- tried to climb it, of course -- and managed to both scrape and bruise her thigh. As if that wasn't bad enough, she also kicked a piece of chicken wire yesterday while I was carrying her and got two long, angry-looking cuts on her calf. Arrg! I feel like an awful parent. Poor girl.

The neat thing about Darling's slowly increasing mobility is that she's shown an interest in climbing. I can't really let her out of my sight anymore, but it's a lot of fun! She likes to climb up onto chairs. She has her own special chair for which I'm planning to sew a slipcover (I have the material, I just need to find the time and courage; I might work on that tomorrow, on my day off). Isn't it such a cute chair? She loves it and so do I!

Check out the video of her crawling into her chair...

This week Darling demonstrated her understanding of "bye bye" and kissing. She now says "buuuh buh" and waves when we say goodbye. And if you ask for a kiss, and she's willing, she'll pucker her little lips and make a "mwah" sound when you kiss her. She mostly only does the kissing thing for her dad, of course. She's pretty fond of him.  :o)

Moving on: I just finished a book this evening called "War Wives" and I'm still not really sure if I liked it. The premise was good, the setting interesting and the story line very detailed. But there were a lot of characters and I feel like I never really got enough time with each person in the story, never got to hear each woman's story and connect with the characters. The book was a good length, but tried to cover too many people, events, and too long a period of time (several years) within it's pages. It either needed to be longer or have fewer characters, quite honestly. But I'm not sorry that I read it...?

Here's some news that isn't mine but is very exciting: My BIL and his wife Amy (you remember them, of course) finally found a house! They have been looking for awhile and have wrestled with the market in San Diego, where buying is still competitive and it's tough to find a started home in a decent neighborhood for a decent price. But they found a great house this week and we are VERY happy and excited for them. We can hardly wait to go visit. If you care to know more about it, you can check out my SIL's blog (amykissesmike.blogspot.com).
Speaking of houses, we have way too much on our plates right now. My brother Ben came down for a couple of days this week and did some housework for us. The to-do list is just impossibly long -- I need to stop adding projects to the list, blarg, bad B! Ben started primer-painting the chicken coop and sanded most of the pieces of wood that are going to become the stairs on our front deck. I started staining the wood, but have only gotten about halfway through. Meanwhile the deck has no stairs.... I'm sure it's wearing on our mailman's patience. (Sorry buddy, and thanks.) But on the bright side it's probably deterring would-be salesman... because we get a lot of those (not) in our neighborhood.

The biggest news of late is that my birthday is very soon... it's tomorrow! Yay! Nate's been bugging me for a birthday list. I finally provided one on Thursday. Basically I asked for a day off from stress and responsibility. I'd like to sleep in, take a long shower, perhaps go bike riding or shopping, do some craft projects, not have to clean anything or change diapers.... and I'd like breakfast foods available all day. Nate said he was going to buy me presents, but I said no, what I really want is just to sleep and take it easy. Seriously. I don't want people or stuff. I also don't want a messy house or an unhappy kid. I just want to be selfish and unburdened for one day. Tuesday I will go back to work and life will resume, but tomorrow... tomorrow I get the day off.

I know I still owe you news about baby bike seats, plus I want to talk about making candy, but oh... I'd rather get started on that very long stretch of sleep! Another time my loves. Until then, adieu.

1 comment:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

we would love it if you visited!!! that video of the babe is SOOOOOOOOOOO cute!!!! Ok- don't feel bad about the bruises- Maddie's going through the same phase so she had a MAJOR black eye, and then she fell AGAIN and had a bruise on her forehead, she is falling on things all the time, and i was so worried that when iw ent to church everyone would think we were beating her, but everyone laughed and was like "Oh she got her first shiner!" everyone was understanding (not that it matters what anyone thinks- but ofcourse we do!) and as far as the babe goes- it is sad when they get hurt- but that's why heavenly father made their bones start out as cartilage and their skull takes forever to harden because he knew they were going to have a hard time learning how to stand and walk! So try not to feel too bad. that video is just so cute. and that chair is so cute too. the birthday gift- ha- I totally get it! and i think i said the same thing to mike for mother's day, and he's like....yeah i'd rather give you a gift- ha. i hope your birthday's a good one, i wrote it on my calendar, and i've been staring at it for awhile now waiting to wish you a happy birthday! you might be sleeping in though- so i'll give you a call in an hour or so. love you!