Sunday, July 25, 2010

Front deck

We've been working on the front deck lately. It was a project I thought we would finish last fall, but an unexpected turn of events delayed our plans considerably. Nevertheless, we're back on task and the work progresses.

Here's a glance at what the front deck use to look like. As you can somewhat see, there was a wrought iron railing on the deck. If you look closely, you might be able to tell that the whole deck is slanting forward:

The picture below is from October. It shows the deck stripped down and leveled. The deck remained in this state from October through June. (Nine months. Ugh.):

Here's the deck again, with the new railing and lattice work. It has also been stained. We haven't redone the stairs yet, nor put in the railings for the stairs. Notice also the beautiful red tree:

Here's the deck from the front door. You can see a couple of solar-powered lanterns on a couple of the posts. These are the lanterns we've decided to go with, but we need to purchase another set of them for the rest of the posts:

I love the stain on the deck. I think it's beautiful. But the important thing is that the deck is level and it's safe!

3 comments:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

OH MY GOSH it looks so good Brooke! I LOVE the stain, it is beautiful, really pretty. Oh my gosh, I can't believe it- it looks so good- the lattice is really cute too- love the lantern/lights in the posts- I think it will look really cute to have them on the others too. It kind of makes me sad though that you put the tree there, becaues now it will cover up all your beautiful work- although- I guess it will get bigger and then just the trunk will cover it- so I guess it won't be covered. Man, you guys are so handy- can't wait to see it in real life. Speaking of going over there- birthday plans?????? family party? friend party? combo? just you and nate party? let us know. anything in particular you are desiring??? :) - oh and thanks for the post comment- I wuold have never figured that out-it was driving me crazy-

Jessica Waite said...

it looks so great! yeah, you are ticking off your project list! It really looks very good.

Anonymous said...

Looks great Brooke, and Nate. I will feel quite stable climbing those steps. Stain color is perfect, and I love the tree. Grandma