Thursday, October 15, 2009

Heavenly Father always knows

Those of you who read Amy's blog already know this, but here's the news for the rest of you: Nate's brother Mike and Mike's wife Amy are going to move in with us. Mike lost his job recently and it has been difficult to find a new one; Amy is battling cancer (and kicking cancer's butt!). We've talked about the possibility of this move for a couple months, and then this week I got the call from Amy.

So now I've switched into my typical moving mode: slighty stressed, brain in overdrive, planning every last detail... etc. All the things that I'm use to, since Nate and I move 5 times in 4 years. It's kinda funny, actually: since we've moved into our house, I tell everyone that I am NEVER MOVING AGAIN in my life. That much might hold true, but apparently that doesn't mean I can avoid being a central party to a couple more moves. So, after Mike and Amy move in here and back out, I can add two more moves to my list, keeping up my one-per-year average. Too funny.

But you're probably wondering about the title of this post and how it relates to what I'm writing. So I should get back on track...

After I got off the phone with Amy on Tuesday, I went into the basement and started analyzing the space. I made a mental checklist of what needs to be done. I've done this plently of times since we started discussing the possible move, but this time I felt like I was looking with a whole new set of eyes.

For instance, I really looked at the windows this week. We were blessed to find a house with HUGE windows. They are massively helpful for my s.a.d. because they let so much light into the house. Which is also their pitfall. Lots of light at night. Plus less insullation against the weather. In the basement, there are no curtains for the windows. None. But the pully system for curtains (what is it called?!) is still in place, so I can just make/buy curtains and put them up! Realizing this, I started going through my fabric collection to see if I had anything that might work for the windows.

Lo-and-behold, I had fabric that would work. Great fabric. Perfect fabric, in fact...

Three years ago, when we were house-sitting and living in Eugene, I went fabric shopping more often than I do now. On one such trip I came across some great discount fabric. $1 per yard for this heavy, sage-green fabric. I had no use for it. Not even a plan for a use. I didn't really want it, since I had no use for it, but I purchased it anyway. I actually felt a complusion to buy it (which made me worry I was turning into a shopaholic or something... thankfully I haven't!)

Flash back to the present: I still have the fabric. Haven't used it for anything. I've pulled it out a few times over the years and thought about using it, but every time I felt like I was suppose to put it away. And then Tuesday night came, and I took it out once again, and I held it up to the giant windows in my basement.

It's exactly the right size. Right length, right width. Nothing extra, nothing lacking. Perfect.

That moment was a lightbulb to me. I had this overwhelming sense that Heavenly Father knows. He knew we would buy this house; He knew Mike and Amy would come to live with us. I know it sounds mundane, and not like something an All-Powerful Creator would be concerned with, but I think God cares about the little things -- even about having fabric to make curtains. He knows. He knows us, and He loves us.

And I'm grateful for that.

3 comments:

Julie said...

The pully system is a traverse rod (or traverse drapery rod).

Brookie said...

Ah, if only I'd known that yesterday afternoon, before I went to the home improvement store and had to fumble through a description of it :o) Thankfully, the sales associate was helpful and forgiving.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Loved the post. And I also KNOW that Heavenly father cares about the little things. Thankyou for sharing. I know you already did with me, but it was nice to read.