Monday, August 24, 2009

My Kitchen!

It's amazing how a two-sentence exchange with the neighbor who lives across the street could lead to so much stress...and joy! Here's what was said sometime back in June:

Me: I hate my kitchen -- it's boring and looks old-fashioned.
My neighbor: You know, a very simple and inexpenisve way to solve that is to paint it and put in new hardware.

That got me to thinking (which is rarely a good idea when it comes to house projects, I know). I made some mental calculations. I figured for about 200 bucks I could do a pretty decent makeover of my kitchen. Add new paint and hardware, but leave the rest alone.

So I went to the store and got a paint sample. Nathan hated it. We debated. Then I bought some more paint samples....
The paint-sample part of the story goes on for another 12 colors, so let me sum up by saying that eventually I found both paint colors and hardware that I LOVE, so after about 1 week of long hours (2 days of which were very intense, and my wonderful mother came down and was a tremendous help), I have a beautifully facelifted kitchen. Just look at these before and after pictures:




There are still a few little things to do (small spots that need a paint touch-up, plus I'm planning to replace that picture over the stove with a big spice rack... from Ikea, maybe?), but isn't it beatiful?!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Those pictures show a great change, but they don't nearly tell the whole story. All those pieces of tape residue, and various shades of sorta white on the cabinets. Good job, sweetie!

Julie said...

Hey, since you didn't post during September, maybe you can yak about canning or the so-called irrigation system...

Unknown said...

I can't believe i didn't comment on this. You did an amazing job. I love how you are such an ambitious, just "get it done" kind of woman. That is a very admirable quality. I will have to see this in person some time soon.

Also, on a completely different note. Billy came home from work a few weeks ago and said "Did you hear they found Brooke Wilberger's body?" ===And for a split second I thought he said "Brooke Winegardner". It felt like some punched me in my gut and my eyes started to burn instantly. When Billy saw the look on my face and realized I was confused, and then the look on HIS face made me realize my mistake. Needless to say, I am glad you are alive and well. I love you guys and hope to see you soon.