Saturday, February 9, 2013

Nate and his MIM, and me, and you

As if our lives weren't already busy enough, complicated enough and stressful enough, we've decided to add to the madness. Nate is going back to school... at least for this term, but possibly for the next two years.

I'm not sure how many of you know about Nate and what I unaffectionately refer to as "the eternal pursuit of the Master's degree." About a year after Nate finished his Bachelor's degree, he started talking about going back to school. So he's been talking about it for more than five years. I won't go into all of the gory details -- and trust me, there have been some gory moments -- I'll just flash forward to February 2012, one year ago. Nate started talking in earnest about taking the GRE, which is the test you have to take before you can get into a graduate program. He even ordered a book and started studying from it.

I can't remember now when he originally wanted to take the GRE. It might have been last summer, or in the fall. But after several weeks of intense studying, life got in the way and he put the book down. That was until this fall, when he started studying in earnest and actually scheduled a date to sit for the test. It was just after New Year's. And he started actually looking into Master's degree programs.

Flash forward again, to right about the time Nate was taking the test. One of my co-workers started telling me about this new Master's in Management program that was going to be available here in town. You see, we only have one university in our little town, and it's a private school (translation: very expensive). Other options for school were an hour north or an hour south of us. This MIM program is through one of the public universities here in our state. The actual school is about four hours south of us, but they are holding all of the classes for the program at the local community college. And online.

Bonuses: It's less expensive that a typical Master's degree program. It will only take about a year and half (it ends in August 2014). Most importantly, it's designed specifically for people who have a job and work full time -- it's designed to accommodate people who are not full-time students.

One very hectic month after first hearing about the program, Nate went to the first class. That was last Saturday. Last night and today, he had the second class. Next weekend he's free, but then he has classes on the three subsequent weekends. Yikes. Suddenly I've become a single mom.

(My own mom just groaned at that statement. Yes mom, I know, I don't have a clue what it's really like. Just let me have my pity-party for a minute.)

I don't know what the future holds. I don't know if Nate will continue this program beyond this term of school (which goes through mid-March). Nate has to figure out how to pay for the rest of the classes. He also needs to do a cost-benefit analysis and provide some evidence of how this decision will help the family. If the research backs it up, I'm all for this new adventure. I totally support his desire and decision to go back to school. But I do want to make sure it's a good investment, one that will yield a return on investment.

So what does all of this mean for me? Ugh. I just started to write a list but it's all a bunch of negative stuff, and I'm really trying to be positive...

What does it all mean for you? Less of me. I'm not going to have the time and/or brain power to blog the way I hoped. Maybe during the week I can somehow find a few hours to write some cooking blogs. Maybe. For now, when it comes to blogging, my emphasis will be on just getting my weekly post out there. If you're disappointed, well... I am too. But sometimes we must all sacrifice for the greater good.  :o)

For now, I am going to strain some yogurt and cook some milk. And try to turn my brain off.

No comments: