Saturday, December 15, 2012

Interviews are over, went well (plus a few pictures)

You probably noticed that I didn't blog last week. It has certainly been on my mind, it's just been a busy time between recovering from sickness and interviewing for the new job...

As I mentioned in my post two weeks ago, I applied for a promotion at work and was then invited to the first round of interviews for said promotion. The interview took place last Wednesday (12/5). Many long hours were devoted to preparing for the interview -- researching possible questions, writing down responses, practicing what I would say, etc. I'm a bit of a nervous public speaker, and not just formal presentations, but really any kind of speaking up in group settings is outside my comfort zone. (I'm working to get better about this.)

On Monday (12/10) I was invited to participate in the second (and final) round of interviews. These took place yesterday, Friday (12/14) in the morning. I had the delightful (sarcasm) time slot of 8am. My very supportive and all-around awesome mom was at our house by 7am to take the baby and let me scoot out the door.

I feel like the second round went really well. I did my best, was fairly comfortable, and gave solid, honest answers to all of the questions. (It helps that we got all of the questions in advance, so we had a couple of days to gather our thoughts.) That said, I really have no idea if I will get the promotion. The other two candidates in the second round are also brilliant, fully qualified individuals. Either of them would also be great at the job. So really it comes down to what the managers and what they want, which of our skill sets they think is best suited to the position.

I know it's strange to say, but no matter how it comes out, I'll be content with the results. If I get the promotion, yay me, I will get to do some new (and much, much cooler) things, travel a little bit more, learn a lot of new stuff, and okay, a little bit more money. But it will also mean working quite a bit harder, sometimes putting in a few more hours, and having to be away from the family a little bit more. So if I don't get it, I retain more flexibility, I won't have quite as much work-related weight on my shoulders, and I can keep doing my relatively easy job. Win, win... right?

The difficult thing is that we have to wait 2-3 weeks before we get an answer. Schedules are really crazy during the holidays with people on vacation at different times, so the hiring manager is just going to wait until everyone is back in the office before getting the paperwork started and letting us know. It's hard to be patient, but anxiety won't do any good, so I'm just taking some deep breaths and putting it out of my mind. Or, well, I'm trying to!

THAT SAID, what else is new? Hmm....

Christmas is coming, of course. We have a stack of presents under the tree, but none of them have been wrapped yet. I'm really not feeling at all festive this year. No holiday spirit. It's not for lack of wanting; I'd certainly like to be decking the halls and humming happy tunes. But Baby Girl really likes to attack the Christmas decorations (she's destroyed a couple of ornaments already), and I can't help but think about how much effort it all takes. Effort that I just have to undo in a couple of weeks... as if we don't already have enough to do. So, I don't know, I guess maybe next year we'll be better about it. Right now I just don't see the point. (Sorry, that's not the most uplifting paragraph.)

My daughter is now 18 months old. Pretty neat. I have to go write her monthly "birthday" letter so I'm actually going to wrap this up. Here are some pictures from the last week...

Fell asleep in the truck on the way to Grandma's house last weekend (she never sleeps in the car, so this was kinda amazing):

Eating lunch at grandma's house (notice the towel used as a bib):

With grandma (and yes, this is the best of the 10+ pictures I took of the two of them):

Sitting around and eating some puffs, in what has got to be the most awkward position ever:


1 comment:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

I'm glad you feel content with all the job stuff. Must be so nice to have that behind you. I don't know how you decorated, but we only decorated half of our tree, haha. Ofcourse it looks goofy, but I actually am used to it now, and it doesn't even look funny to me now- haha. She still has managed to pull them off though! the ornaments just keep getting higher and higher! I had a friend over and she bust out laughing when she saw my tree. But she said (along with my sisters) that they all did the same thing with babies this age. cutie pictures. Your darling is looking more and more like you every day. You are truly going to be twinners. I don't know why they like to be in such uncomfortable positions- maddie does the same thing. I guess since they are so flexible, and don't have hard bones like us it doesn't affect them like it would us! who knows. silly girls. I hope you have a good christmas, even if it was different this year. 18 months! whoo hoo darling! and whoo hoo parents. love you.