Sunday, June 10, 2012

Recipes for Baby's First Cake

My daughter's first birthday is this week, and we've decided to have a casual get-together to mark the occasion. (Friends and family, you are all invited!) I love the first-birthday custom of giving baby her own little frosted cake to enjoy and destroy.

Of course, I'm weird about food, and I don't want to just give my kid any old cake from the store, nor do I want to give her something completely unhealthy. But it's cake so it should be sweet and doesn't have to be a perfect model of health food, and it's her first cake so it should be special. I did quite a bit of internet research in order to find a good recipe. I'd really like it to be a chocolate cake with white frosting (I don't know why; it just sounds good) but a lot of the recipes I found were vanilla cake. A lot of the whipped cream frosting recipes added cream cheese. I like cream cheese frosting, but I want to do a very simple frosting, just whisked whipped cream with a touch of sweetener.

As I was searching around for recipes, one of the blog posts I found opened with the following words, which I thought were an excellent summary of my own feelings:

There are so many options. So many opinions. People who believe depriving a baby of devilishly chocolate, sugary cake is tantamount to child abuse; people who believe giving baby any sugar, ever, is tantamount to child abuse. Some people skip cake altogether, reasoning any messy, dessertish dish will do for the messy-faced photos that most everyone agrees are about the whole reason a child turns one.

I laughed out loud about the it's-child-abuse-either-way part of that paragraph. So true, right? Personally, I don't think it's abusive to make a rich, chocolately, sugary cake for a baby's birthday. I just don't plan on doing that for my kid -- it's not the way I'm raising her.

Anyway, I don't want to get stuck on the "healthy or not" conversation. It's not the point. The point is that I found a few recipes and I did some test baking this week. First I selected four recipes -- two chocolate, one carrot, and one chocolate-vegetable cake. I had the ingredients on hand for the plain chocolate cakes so I made them. I was pleased with the results and have decided not to try the other recipes (but they are included below for anyone who is curious; I might yet make them for another occasion or just for fun).

The first recipe ("One Bowl") uses agave instead of white sugar. It calls for whole wheat flour, which I use anyway. It calls for salt, which I absolutely never add to recipes. And it calls for vegetable oil, which I usually replace with olive oil. (Because I'm weird that way.) It asks you to put in 3/4 teaspoon each of baking soda and baking powder. That's an odd size of measurement (3/4 teaspoon?) so I did something like 1/2 teaspoon powder and 1 teaspoon soda. Or maybe it was the other way around....

(In case you can't tell, I'm a tad liberal about recipes, especially when it's just baking. I don't measure things exactly, and I modify the ingredients as I see fit. Baking doesn't have to be perfectly exact -- your cup of flour can be a little over filled or you can forget to leveling off the cocoa powder. It's not going to affect anything.)

The agave chocolate cake included directions for making whipped cream topping with agave. Neat. I followed the whipped recipe, although I halved the amount of vanilla.

The second cake recipe was a "healthy chocolate cake." That sounds dangerous, but it was good. I replaced the 1 cup of caster sugar with 1/2 cup of agave. I left out the salt. I used olive oil instead of vegetable oil (or apple puree). I was surprised that it didn't ask for an egg. I really wanted to add an egg, but I didn't.

Here are the results:
Both cakes were tasty. One Bowl was a bit moister than Healthy, and a bit fluffier and darker. I'm thinkin' it was because of the egg. (Really.) I would absolutely feed either of them to my daughter, but we decided to go with the One Bowl recipe. It's a little bit more of a treat, more like a typical cake, but still moderately healthy. (Not as healthy as the Healthy cake recipe, but still much healthier than a typical cake.) And did I mention yummy? Both cakes were good, but One Bowl was a bit tastier.

The whipped cream was also good. (Although I'm thinking about reducing the agave a little more when I make it this weekend; it doesn't need to be overly sweet.) It took me forever to whisk the whipped cream. I put it in the stand mixer and it was going for probably ten minutes and didn't seem to be making progress. Nate went outside to do some exercising when I started mixing it. When he came back in I was grumbling at the mixer. He said, "Are you sure the speed is high enough? I think you have to mix it pretty hard." So I turned the speed from whatever it was at (4 or 6?) up to full or nearly-full speed (8 or 10?) and in about a minute it was whipped to perfection. He's brilliant, huh?

Finally, I wanted to make sure that Baby Girl was going to like my concoction, so after dinner (this was Thursday night, I think) I gave her a slice of One Bowl covered with whipped topping. It was adorable -- exactly what I hope to see this coming Saturday. She got her hands covered in whipped cream, licked the white fluff off her fingers, then attacked the cake. She didn't really devour the cake, but that's fine. She ate a few bites and made a big mess. Perfect.


The recipes are included below. The first two recipes are the ones I made (one includes whipped cream directions). I did not change the ingredients or directions in the text below. I also included the other two cake recipes I found. Finally, at the bottom of this post, there's another set of whipped cream directions using regular white sugar. It has a couple of possible variations. (If you follow the link, it will take you to several more variations for the whipped cream, including some that use fruit... yum.)

Happy baking!


One Bowl Chocolate Cake (with Agave)

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

2/3 cup agave nectar
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup boiling water

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour one nine-inch round pan.

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the agave nectar, egg, milk, oil and vanilla. Mix for 2 minutes on medium speed of mixer. Stir in the boiling water last. Pour into the prepared pan.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.


Whipped Cream Topping
Ingredients:
1 cup heavy cream
1/8 cup agave nectar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preparation:
Whip cream until almost stiff. Add agave and vanilla; beat until cream holds peaks. Spread over top of cooled chocolate cake or another dessert. Top the whipped cream with grain-sweetened chocolate chips if desired.





Grease and base-line a 20cm round, loose-based cake tin. Heat the oven to 350 F

Sift together 1 1/2 cups plain flour, 4 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 cup caster sugar, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt.

In a separate bowl, mix together 1/3 cup of vegetable oil or apple puree, 1 tbsp vinegar, 1 tsp vanilla essence, 1 cup warm water.

Mix these into the dry ingredients until just amalgamated. Do not over mix.

Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 30-35 minutes until the cake has risen and springs back when pressed.Serve the cake just as it is, or to make it extra special, top with Greek yogurt and raspberries.



Chocolate, Zucchini, Sweet Potato Cake
http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/tipFirstBDay.htm
1/4 cup cocoa 
2 1/2 cups flour 
1/2 cup rye flour or buckwheat flour 
1 teaspoon salt 
1 teaspoon baking soda 
1 teaspoon baking powder 
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon 
3 eggs 
1 cup vegetable oil 
1 1/2 cups brown sugar 
1/2 cup honey 
2 teaspoons vanilla 
1/2 cup buttermilk 
1 cup grated zucchini 
1 cup grated sweet potatoes 
1 cup dried cherries, hydrated in 3 tablespoons rum or hot water 
1 cup pecans, roughly chopped (optional)


Decrease the oil by ½ cup, omit the sugar and honey. Try using choppedjarred maraschino cherries for more moisture.

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

• Butter and flour a bundt pan. 
• Sift together first 7 ingredients. 
• Set aside. 
• In a mixer mix oil, sugar, honey add eggs and vanilla. 
• Mix dry ingredients into egg mixture then add buttermilk. 
• Stir in remaining ingredients. 
• Pour into pan and bake for 50-60 minutes till toothpick comes out clean. 
• Let cool. 
• Invert onto cake dish.



Baby's First Birthday Cake (Carrot Cake)
http://grizzlybirds.blogspot.com/2007/01/babys-1st-birthday-cake-recipes.html
(Makes 1 double-layer 9-inch square cake; adapted from "What to Expect")

2 1/2 cups thinly sliced carrots
2 1/2 cups apple juice concentrate (you may use slightly less)
1 1/2 cups raisins
Vegetable Spray/Shortening
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 whole eggs
4 egg whites
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup wheat germ
2 Tbsp low sodium baking powder
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon

Prep: Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two 9 inch square cake pans with waxed paper and spray the paper with vegetable spray/shortening.

1. Combine the carrots with 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the juice concentrate in a medium size saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, until carrots are tender, 15 to 20 mins. Puree in a blender of food processor until smooth.
3. Add the raisins and process until finely chopped. Let mixture cool.
4. Combine the flour, wheat germ, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Add 1 1/4 cups juice concentrate, the oil, eggs, egg whites, and vanilla; beat just until well mixed. Fold in the carrot puree and applesauce. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans.
5. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 mins. Cool briefly in the pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely. When cool, frost with Cream Cheese Frosting below or sprinkle a wee bit of powdered sugar if desired.



Vanilla Whipped Cream Frosting
5 Tbs. granulated sugar
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Chill the bowl and whisk attachment of a stand mixer for 20 min. in the refrigerator or 5 min. in the freezer. Pour the heavy cream into the bowl and whisk on medium-high speed until it just starts to thicken. Slow the speed down to medium and gradually pour in the sugar. Continue to whisk until soft peaks form.

Add the vanilla extract and continue to whisk by hand until the cream is smooth, and stiff peaks form (the cream will stand up straight when the whisk is raised).

Variation: Chocolate
Omit vanilla and increase sugar to 6 Tbs. After soft peaks form, turn off the mixer and add 1/4 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-processed. Whisk by hand until the cream is smooth, and stiff peaks form. Let the cream sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to dissolve the cocoa. Whisk briefly before using.

Variation: Mocha
Omit vanilla and increase sugar to 6 Tbs. After soft peaks form, turn off the mixer and add 1/4 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-processed, and 2 Tbs. instant espresso dissolved in 2 Tbs. boiling water. Whisk by hand until the cream is smooth, and stiff peaks form. Let the cream sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to dissolve the cocoa. Whisk briefly before using.

1 comment:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Do you have coconut Palm Sugar available where you live? Whole Foods carries it. I don't know how much you know about it, but it's a great alternative to sugar, better than agave. It is not "sugar" that's just part of the title. It is expensive though. BUT if you get it in bulk it is cheaper. If you're going to continue using agave, Lizzie has done ATON of research on it and has only found one brand that she "approves" of- ha-. it's called xagave- pronounced zagave. it's the only one she approves of regarding how it's processed, what's put in it etc. Alot of people use agave from costco and after lizzie did research it is not that great. So if you're going to get into agave, meaning- using it alot in your baking, if you can afford it, you might want to get the xagave. Depending on your health food stores they might carry it, otherwise you'll have to order it online. If they don't have it where you live and you're interested i can find out from lizzie what website she orders it from. Another thing I've been getting into is almond meal from trader joes. You can't completely replace flour with it or it will crumble apart, but when using wheat in a chocolate treat, it's a great addition, it makes it so it doesn't taste quite as wheaty. Rebecca recently made a whole wheat chocolate cake and said it's delicious. I haven't tried it yet. But my mom, lizzie and rebecca said it's delicious and we are all treat snobs. I can get you the recipe if you want. Another great thing about coconut sugar is that you can replace it with sugar cup for cup, you don't have to do any math, so that's nice. It's not great for melting, but great for baking. and while we're on teh subject of healthy treats- I just tried Danielle's "sweet popcorn" that she just posted a few back- and it is SO YUMMY. popcorn, agave, and coconut oil,and salt to taste . Coconut oil is actually GOOD for you! This has been a GREAT addition to our lives because I kind of want a treat after every meal- ha. It's like eating kettle corn but no sugar, no butter, no oil. AWESOME. That's great you're trying to make your treats healthier, especially now that the babe is gonna start eating them. You're so funny you had a test run with the cake. Have a FUN party! Wish we could be there, especially for the cake destroying, tape it! One more thing-dates are another great sugar alternative. You can use it in paste form or sugar form. The sugar is expensive, the paste- you can make with your blender, or you can buy it already pureed. Lizzie's Lara bars are SOOOOOOOOo yummy. And if you ever had any questions, I'm sure if you emailed Lizzie, she'd be happy to answer any questions, she is the definition of health nut, she knows everything about healthy baking and cooking. She's kind of obsessed with it. We are kind of a strange family, obsessed with treats and health. ha. oh and i hope this didn't come off as "teaching you" I am so not a wiz in this area, my SISTERS are, I just do what they tell me :) but it does crack us all up that I am the one that introduced coconut sugar to the family- haha. It's my claim to fame.